Monday, October 08, 2007

Back To The Future

"When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college--that my job was to teach people how to draw.

She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, 'You mean they forget?'" --Howard Ikemoto,

from Art & Fear by David Bayles & Ted Orland


Lately, as part of rebuilding my newer better life, I've been trying to remember what made me happy when I was nine or ten years old. Back before all my energy was sapped by worrying about non-happy-making things like dieting, and makeup, and clothes. Before I gave a damn whether boys liked me, or if I was skinny enough, or what the hell my stupid hair looked like. What things brought me joy before pressure to seek approval from the big Ps--Peers, Parents, Professors, and the Patriarchy-- consumed my real self? And how can I bring some of those things back into my life today?

Here's my top ten list of things I loved most when I was a kid:

  1. Reading
  2. Drawing
  3. Dogs
  4. Monkeys
  5. Canoeing
  6. Making up stories
  7. Building sand castles
  8. Making tree forts
  9. Watching hilarious programs on tv
  10. Singing at the top of my lungs


In upcoming posts, I want to take a closer look at some of the ways I'm finding to return to the happy-making things that I somehow "forgot" when my life was so rudely interrupted by puberty. Stay tuned.




10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"...when my life was so rudely interrupted by puberty."

GENIUS!!!

And if we could just recognize that it's merely an interruption, we'd be able to resume our lives momentarily.

3:37 PM  
Blogger obsoletepostergirl said...

You just made my day. What an awesome idea!

3:46 PM  
Blogger debinca said...

Ya know I have been thinking lately about my return to school, studying landscape design and wondering just WHAT it is that I like so much.... after looking at my 'fun to do list at age 10' its very clear why I like my new direction.... It makes me feel like a kid. Thanks, Deb

riding my bike places
visiting people I just met and getting to understand what their passions are
learning new stuff
Building stuff
playing outside
pets and animals esp, dogs
walking places
roller skating
digging in the dirt
fire
swimming
exploring the mountains

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have the dogs, and unless I'm mistaken, there are trees on the property of The Shack that look like they could accommodate some very nice tree forts. You're never to old to sit in a tree with a good book.

I look forward to film of you singing at the top of your lungs while gardening (digging in the dirt) and just generally going about your daily life, possibly with a monkey on your shoulder.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Irish Goddess said...

What an excellent idea! I think I may borrow it...

9:20 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Reader said...

Wonderful post, not only b/c my list is so similar to your list -- except for the monkeys. I've only recently come around to monkeys. I'm about to have my first child and am so looking forward to a new playmate who has the time and inclination for the great things in life.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Sock Girl said...

What a fabulous idea! I love this! I'm going to ponder this as well... (I hope I can remember that far back!)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Rent Party said...

Drawing pictures, saying things, and meditating upon the great question: is language necessary for thought, or can thought preexist language?

No kidding. I should have been a cognitive scientist.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dear Liz,

But you failed to mention what a hoot 'Art & Fear' was to read! I found it a really funny book.

Thanks for the recommendation.

-Nancy

My review is here:
http://blurbberbblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/inheritance-of-loss-kiran-desai.html

10:40 AM  
Blogger Meg Wolff said...

I really like this post and other stuff I'm reading on this blog. Looks like you have not posted lately ... hope you are back soon.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home