Monday, October 01, 2007

Ode To Happier Things

Exciting news on the tiny grandperson front! Friday's ultrasound reveals that the tiny new person is a BOY. A perfect, tiny, brand new boy!

The proud parents don't have a name picked out yet. So in the absence of an official name, I've been calling the baby "Monkeybutt McCupcake" and sending presents every week with a monkey theme. Monkey overalls, monkey onesies, monkey quilts, monkey socks, sock monkeys. Plus the occasional hand-knitted hat from Etsy that looks like a cupcake. Personally, I would be happy to keep calling the kid Monkeybutt for the rest of his life. But the proud parents have tactfully suggested otherwise.

So, in an effort to be helpful, I've been sending them name suggestions. Here's where we are so far:

To: Parents of Monkeybutt
From: Granny of the Apes

Ok, here's my first list of potential boy names:

arthur
bonzo
cornelius
darwin
elijah
finster
george
ham
ishmael
julius
kikazaru
luke
mazaru
nikko
ojo
pepe
razzberry
spike
thelonius
ungawa
virgil
washoe
zephyr

What do these all have in common, you ask? Why, they're all names of FAMOUS MONKEYS, of course!

My first vote is for Zephyr, but I also really love Finster and Thelonius (especially if his nickname becomes "Monk").

Mucho de loove,
-Granny of the Apes


From: Father of Monkeybutt
To: Granny of the Apes
Attachments: Scans of Ultrasounds

Medical angst be damned... may I introduce MISTER Monkeybutt!

Sorry if the resolution isn't great, the originals aren't super clear and they lose a little something in the scanning process. Let me know if you can't find his foot or hand or whatever.

Much love,
Father of Monkeybutt


Image of Boyness


Monkeybutt with weird superfluous little image drifting on the right that they think looks like a goblin.

From: Granny of the Apes
To: Parents of Monkeybutt

ZOMG!!1! Monkeybutt is so BEAUTIFUL! I have never seen such a beautiful fetus, ever. He is simply perfect. It's too bad they can't do color ultrasounds yet, I want to see what color his fuzz is. Lanugo, is that what it's called? It's been such a long long time since I thought about prenatal stuff.

Oh I think that goblin thingie looks exactly like a Calavera de Azucar. Or no, wait, maybe it's a Grateful Deadhead decal. Oooo, maybe
you're going to have a baby hippie!! :-|

Tons of love!
-Granny of the Apes


To: Granny of the Apes
From: Mother of Monkeybutt

Now we have the fear of hippies deep in us. While we were looking at the ultrasound yesterday, we swear that we saw a peace sign. We started freaking out that it was going to come out smelling like patchouli with dreds or something. So now that you think it's going to be a hippie, we're really scared! And yes it does look like a calavera de azucar. Seriously.

Love,
Mother of Monkeybutt


To: Parents of Monkeybutt
From: Granny of the Apes

Oh boy! Don't get me started on hippie names

Doobie! Fillmore! Moonjava! Snowphish! Stoner!

No, wait, I've got it: REVOLUTION!!!! We can call him Revvie.

But, um, Dude??? No. As much as I love The Big Lebowski, NOT Dude. And why the hell isn't Che on there? Or Fidel? Seriously, I vote for Revolution
Garcia Boomer.

Damn, this makes ME want to go out and start having many new babies, just so I can give them all fabulous hippie names. Be VERY afraid.

xxxx,

Granny of the Apes


So while the proud parents are off in their little anti-hippie world pondering boy names, dear readers, I am down here in Deep Inferno pondering grandmother names. If he can't really be Monkeybutt, then I can't really be Granny of the Apes. So I'm putting it to you all: post your suggestions for the perfect grandmother name for me. What should baby Monkeybutt call me? So far I've considered Grannyvibe, Maw Maw, Lala, Einstein, and Sophia Loren. What do y'all suggest?



21 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Congratulations to the whole family! As far as your "Granny" name goes .. boy howDEE! That's a tough one! There is no superlative in our language which describes how great of a Grandmother you will be, nor how lucky the little monkey is to have you in his life.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ya Looblue said...

I like Grannyvibe. Or maybe GramBot, on account of your arms of steel!!! yeah. GramBot.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I was growing up, we had some friends who called their grandmother "Toad." No one knew why. I've never forgotten it, so there's points for staying power.

Also, I have a friend whose kids call their grandmother "Hootie."

Gramster?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

How hilarious - my DAUGHTER'S nickname is Hootie. And she calls her grandmother "Moosie". No idea why, she made it up when she was just learning to speak. Doesn't sound anything like her name or any variation of granny or grandma or whatever. Just, "moosie."

2:11 PM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Frida, naturally.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Remember that your great niece and nephews used to call you Great Aunt Brilliant! BTW, you will have another great niece soon!

3:46 PM  
Blogger No Sharp Edges said...

I'd say, with those arms of steel, you are...

The Graminator.

3:53 PM  
Blogger aJenniferOriginal said...

I second THE GRAMINATOR, that is fan-f-ing-tastic!!

5:10 PM  
Blogger SeattleSuze said...

I've followed your blog for a long time now - you're the first and last words of the day. I think Grammy Cracker is a whopper of a name for ya and I think the little guy is one lucky baby!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Excellent. The Graminator is my vote. You rawk! Your grandmonkey rawks! Congrats.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Tarr said...

please let the little fetus come up with his own name for you.

You know you will love it.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jean Campbell said...

My DIL was going to have her first grandchile call her Gammie but it came out Mammy -- prompting her to let the kid decide. Now she's Naynay.

My own grands call me Grandmother; they decided.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

In the Philippines, Lola is the word for grandma. And it's got a nice, sexy ring to it!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Axon said...

>this makes ME want to go out and start having many new babies

Do you know that this is the first time in thirty years that I have regretted getting a vasectomy?

Oh, and you'll love the name Marsha has picked out for her grandma name: "Gigi".

I think I'll go for "Gaston".

2:07 AM  
Blogger debinca said...

Oh thats easy, Granny A

( as in Granny Awesome, or Granny Alpha, as in the first and best Granny ever!) LOl

So fun these days with the ultra sounds, My niece just sent one of her little fetus, that was her announcement Of the preggers status! Very cool.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Ginny Lee said...

OOOHHH that is soooo exciting! You will have the perfect grandma name for you, however it comes about. While you may be able to propose a general idea for what you want to be called, as others have suggested here, Monkeybutt will most likely come up with his own version of what to call you. My mother wanted to be called "Gorgeous" (Short for "Gorgeous Grandmother")by her grandchildren, vowing in advance to not respond to their calls immediately in public so that they would have to call her over and over again reaching the peak of a crescendo so that all could hear "GORGEOUS!!" loud and clear. However, she ended up going by her Gorgeous Grandma initials: G.G. now spelled GiGi. It fits her well and was easy for all the grandbabies to say.

11:32 AM  
Blogger giddlygoop said...

I like Lola and GiGi and the Graminator. My own mom wanted my kids to call her Grandmamere but my oldest came up with Ginga. That's what stuck but we all love it.
Congratulations on the cute monkeybutt cupcake!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

My Grandma is 'Granny M', like from the Bond movies. I was about 16 before I learned her name is 'May'.
My 2 yr old niece just makes up names too. Her Greatgrandfather is 'Grandygrand' and her Grandmother is 'Pamma'.. that's a bit spooky because she has another grandmother on the 'other side' called Pam.

9:19 PM  
Blogger littledog said...

We name our children, and our grandchildren name us. When my Grandson was old enough to try to talk, I really, really wanted to be "Granny", maybe even "Little Granny." (I'm just under five feet tall) Instead, I became "Nana", which botanically speaking, is the word for a dwarf variety, so it works out perfect.

The Monkeybutt will name you, and it will be perfect.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Katherine Klose said...

My mother insisted that my butterbean come up with her name on his own. He came up with Gaga. And it's PERFECT. I imagine next time, had there ever been or were there ever to be a next time, she would have selected for herself, gone with Mimi, and been done with it. So Gaga or, perhaps, Grambo (like ya looblue, but not sure if she meant hers to rhyme with robot, I mean mine to rhyme with Rambo).

1:43 PM  
Blogger LisaMM said...

My kids call my mom Cracker.. started out as Grammy, became Gram, and then Cracker (like Graham Cracker). Congratulations on your new grandmonkey to be!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home