Friday, August 10, 2007

It's Worse Than You Thought

Ok. I wasn't being entirely straight with you. It's not just the curtains and throw pillows plus the occasional t-shirt and concrete statue. It's a whole lot worse than that.


Frida distributes arms to the Communists on the desk.


Frida illuminates the back porch.


Frida watches the amphibians play chess.


Frida flies with the time.


Along with Diego and Catarina, Frida juices the microwave.


Frida frames the back yard.


Frida competes with the view of a tree.


Frida carries the checkbook and a dog-eared underlined copy of Bandit: Dossier of a Dangerous Dog.


I suppose future generations of blog scholars will dedicate their lives to defending dissertations that purport to explain: Why Frida? Well, hell, if it enables them to make a decent living so they can support their own freaky tasteless habits, good for them.

But frankly, just between y'all and me? Don't make too much of it. Because the answer to Why Frida? is probably 90% Because she's every god damn where you turn these days. I mean come on, what are the odds of ever finding, say, Stevie Smith curtain fabric, or Flannery O'Connor drawer pulls, or Shelley Duval switch plates, or a B. Dagger Lee purse? We take what we can get over here at the Shack O'Deflated Tumors. And hello future blog historians! In the Year of Our Roomba 2007, the eBay it was flooded with the cool inexpensive Frida stuff. Simple as that.

Oops, one more:


Frida reacts to pain and betrayal by compulsively chopping off her own hair and documenting it in her art.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OK, but: I can do you one better. I have a tattoo based on that last picture of Frida. Yep.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Patrizia said...

Okay, Elizabeth. I have some more Frida kitsch I'd like to send you. (After I got laid off from my big corporate job and it became evident that nobody was ever going to hire me again, I used my tiny severance package to open up a store -- we sell hot sauce, Venetian masks & kitsch) Two magnificent Frida candles! My email address is patrizia AT slowburning.com. Please email me yr physical address so I can send them to you. (Won't send them until after the middle of Sept because I don't want them to melt in transit.)

And where oh where did you find that magnificent Frida material?

Patrizia

12:57 PM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Patrizia! I know all about your shop; I read your blog. The A. Henry fabric is available all over eBay, and also comes with different background colors. I've never seen a Frida candle, thanks for the offer. I'll email you my address when the weather cools down.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Did you get the magazine I sent you?

1:11 AM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Yes, I did, thanks!

10:22 AM  
Blogger alphabitch said...

I need a B. Dagger Lee purse. Or, better yet, a tote bag.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Professor Zero said...

It's her 100th birthday, that's why. In Mexico City there are so many Frida events and so much merchandise now that they are referring to the whole thing as "Fridamania."

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home