Sunday, June 03, 2007

Before & After

Actual moving day, the one that entails a very large van and a merry crew of able-bodied bonded & insured movers who whistle while they work and know the names of good chiropractors, will be sometime the week of June 11th. But meanwhile I've been going over to the shack several times every day, taking loads of stuff that will fit in my car. Smallish things like lamps and paintings and boxes of knickknacks.

This saves me the trouble of having to deal with bubble wrap and special moving boxes designed for fragile items. It's only 14 blocks from house to shack, and I can just pile stuff on the back seat without wrapping, as long as I avoid potholes. Anyway, I find myself constantly yearning to be over there and making all these little trips is just an excuse to go.

There's no real furniture yet but I've already stocked the shack with an electric tea kettle, a boom box, a roll of toilet paper, and a comfy lawn chair. What else does a body need to be happy?

I spent a few lovely hours over there today enjoying a good book, watching the trains go by, and listening to my favorite Sunday morning zydeco show on the radio. Also puttering in the garden, hanging curtains, and putting pictures on the walls. It's starting to feel more and more like home.

Behold the progress with your very own eyes:


Bathroom: Before. Note dead roaches all over the floor. Welcome to Louisiana!


Bathroom: After. Lysol is our friend. Once sanitation was achieved, we began to strive for that ever-popular decor trend, the elusive perfect blend of Paris Apartment meets NASCAR Event. There will eventually be two dressers and an armoire squeezed in here somewhere.


Behind that striped curtain on the left is a cleverly disguised makeshift broom closet, a place to invisibly store mops, brooms, swiffers, the vacuum cleaner, and other unsightly cleaning supplies. It's like living on a houseboat, or an Airstream. Or in a tiny little shack with zero closets. Every square inch must be put to use.


Flower bed: Before. Nothing but weeds and hard dried clay.


Flower bed: After. Can you even see the damn plants in this shot? They're still quite small, but so far they're thriving, and adding much-needed color to the barren landscape. The new plants should fill in and up over the next few weeks, forming a lush riotous Thomas Kinkadesque fantasy border. Unless I forget to water.


The long narrow flower bed is protected by the Greek god Pan, that horny cloven deity from whom we acquired the words panic, pandemonium, and possibly pancake makeup. Whether he keeps these qualities away from the shack or shepherds them in remains to be seen. Stay tuned and find out!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

After nearly 8 months of worrying myself silly about you, wondering what had happened to you, after you deleted your last blog, so glad to find you again. And to think you'd been blogging all this time!
Have spent the evening catching up on your blog.
Just great to know you're doing O.K.
You've put a smile on my face today :-)

4:10 PM  
Blogger quixoticmantis said...

Liz, I LOVE IT! And I'm jealous - you have what I've always longed for; a claw-footed bathtub. Check out www.walkslowlylivewildly.com; she and her family moved from 1,6hundredandsomething sq. foot house to a 487 sq. foot apartment...and they love it!

I'm also diggin' your Pan! Where'd you get him? I want one.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The bathroom is so cute! And it looks like you can make flowers grow anywhere :).

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, it really does look better already.

Man, dead cockroaches you can see in a zoom-out shot of that much bathroom -- those really are some big ones!

While I never lived anywhere they were that big, I did twice find myself stuck in positive hives of them. In the one particularly dismal (but thankfully very temporary) "home" I rented, it got to a point where I would just leave 'em where I killed 'em on the walls. A guy who visited me moved to clean up one of the corpses once, but I told him, "Don't. Leave it as an example to the others." It didn't work, of course; it never repelled a single other roach as far as I could tell, as they kept right on scuttling around at the same frequency as ever. Still, it was as close to having a den lined with trophies as I ever hope to come.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Trasi said...

Louisiana is like Africa, in that ANYTHING can grow there ('cept maybe cactus), and like a weed, it does. They will be lush and gorgeous soon.
And I love the black and white of the bathroom. I sorta did that to a bathroom I had years ago, where the existing colors were white and that 1960's era seafoam green. Black and white made it officially "retro" versus just "old and crappy."
I'm excited to see more pictures soon!

11:14 AM  
Blogger anne said...

Your vividness and zest for life are such a gift to us, your fan base. I think the word "vivid" is one that describes you best, though I only "know" you through your writings.

Thank you, many times over, and I wish you all the best in your new abode. You will make it gorgeous just because you are you.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to re-decorate!

6:05 PM  
Blogger BunnyBubblette said...

I love what you've done with the place!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've got to be honest with you, Liz. When I first saw the tile in that bathroom, I thought, what is she going to do with THAT? And in a room so HUGE? Well, I see and I LOVE it!! Looking good!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mantelli said...

Hurray! Your place is starting to look so cute! A great bathroom is the heart of a home. I am totally jealous. My own bathroom is a soulless little pit. I hope that you're very happy in your new home.

7:54 PM  
Blogger momo said...

Liz, you have the eye! Have you been a pro designer?

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home