Friday, June 01, 2007

Welcome To The Hood

I haven't even moved in yet, but already I've enjoyed strolling around my new neighborhood and hanging out with my very friendly new neighbors. These are some of the houses that surround my new shack. There are at least two bona fide mansions within spitting distance of my humble front porch! (We do love our porches down here.) I can see each of these lovely abodes out of at least one of my windows. I know the people in all but one of them, and at least two of them have swimming pools. Is this Deep Inferno's answer to Beverly Hills?











That cute little cottage with the picket fence is right next door to me, I can see it out my kitchen window. Huey lives there, another California transplant and zydeco dancer who moved here a few years after I did. We share a parking area and a landlord. See the chairs and tables on his front porch? Those used to be my porch furniture, until five days ago. I traded them to him for a compact refrigerator. Now I go over and have tea on his porch every morning. How enterprising was that?

I can also see the railroad tracks from every room in my house. Stay tuned for some serious freight train photography. When life gives you a lemon, I always say: turn it into a weird geeky obsessive hobby, and run like hell with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kanga Jen said...

"When life gives you a lemon, I always say: turn it into a weird geeky obsessive hobby, and run like hell with it."

You are the queen of quirky but oh so true quotes.

I read your blog daily and hope to learn from it. (and am looking for info on your online fitness course. I'm in that middle aged, not wanting to fight that, but wanting to as healthy as I can stage.

Cheers!

8:45 PM  
Blogger jana said...

I _love_ trains (watching them, riding on them, hearing their whistles). Your place sounds just perfect to me :)

9:59 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

At least the view is gorgeous. I can't wait to see all the new roses you plant, and the dog amongst them, and e-meet the guy across the way, and all that. Did you move in already? Or are you still in the transition process, but go by every day and putter around?

11:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You'll have to add some railroad blues to your CD favorites....

"When the whistle blows, i'll be on my toes,
And I'll shuffle down the aisle.
And I know I'll not be lonesome
when I see them treetops tall,
I'm coming through on the big choo-choo,
On the Dixie Cannonball..."

11:17 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

When you start with the train pics, I'm downloading them all for my boys.

We live downtown in Chicago right near the train station and consequently have a view of every train line that comes through to the station. The kids look out the window every time they hear one. It's heaven since it gives me an extra minute or two to do something when they're occupied.

We're convinced that our property should be INCREASED because of that. Major selling point for kids under 5!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home