Friday, June 01, 2007

Granny Gets A Boyfriend

Another big announcement already! Stop me if this just way too much excitement for you to handle.

Ok, now this is a big one, so you should probably turn on your mental drumrolls and fanfare sound effects: I'm about to get myself a brand new boyfriend. I'm going to adopt a male Doberman from the regional rescue society!

The reason for adopting from rescue rather than directly from a shelter is that they will carefully evaluate the dog's temperament. Obviously I can't risk taking in a big muscular male dog with a strong prey instinct that's going to be triggered by tiny dancing fluffballs. So I need to adopt from experienced dog savvy people who have lived and worked with the dog and know how he reacts to different situations.

Dobes are one of the Misunderstood Breeds. Many people assume they're all vicious killers. While it's true that they tend to be shrewdly intelligent, fiercely loyal, and highly protective of their person and home, they also tend to be great big doofussy love bugs and high-powered kissing machines. And I'm going to be sure that my new boyfriend is as doofussy, kissy, and love buggousy as possible. At the same time, I'm going to let that Misundertoodness work in my favor: who the hell in their right mind is going to mess with me or my shack with one of these magnificent creatures standing guard?















Aren't they beautiful? I had a heck of a time choosing one, so I let the rescue folks pick the one they thought would be a good match. The first one they selected for me is that last one, the beautiful albino guy. His foster mom is going to spend the next few days exposing him to as many small dogs as possible, to make absolutely sure he doesn't have an aggression problem with them. If it turns out he's not right for my situation, then we'll try one of the others.

A lot of these dogs are Katrina casualties who ended up homeless and wandering the streets after the storm, many of them extremely sick and emaciated. They owe their lives to the rescue angels. Many of them still have ongoing health issues. Albinos in particular tend to have a lot of health problems, and especially being susceptible to skin cancer they're not long lived. This might keep other potential adopters away, but not me. Health Issues R Us here at the Shack O' Second Chances! And we are all about the compassion for our fellow issuites.

So I'll keep y'all posted on the new boyfriend front, as developments develop. Keep your fingers crossed. And meanwhile, please support the animal rescue organization of your choice.


“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” -Mahatma Gandhi

P.S.: Did it occur to you that committing to a new dog is an indication that on a very very deep level I now believe that I'm going to live for a while longer? Well, it occurred to me!

18 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Congratulations!

I love the latest hair pictures, btw. You look happier and more hopeful, which makes me happier and more hopeful.

10:12 AM  
Blogger stower said...

O that dog! Those dogs! What lovelies.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it occurred to me. Wonderful.

You are absolutely right about them having a gotten a bum rap, and oh yes, they are beautiful.

Once the matchmaker has set you up, I hope you'll be happy together for many years. :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger miz b said...

Yay! New dog, new house, long life! I love all the news of late. And I hope the fluffballs treat the new arrival well and don't attack him! What's his name?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

He's a beauty. They are such graceful dogs, kind of like greyhounds, but with normal sized heads. I know they are just lovey and kissy and doof-balls. Rottweilers are much the same way. Or at least my college boyfriend's parents' dog Maggie sure was. Just a smoocher.
Enjoy, and congratulations that you seem to have surmounted the hurdle of despair, at least for now! I'm sure there will be moments which come back, but gradually the net will be all positive.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Queen of She said...

I love my rottie -- he's a drooly lovebug who gets along fine with our two cats. Enjoy your new guy!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Carny Asada said...

Man, I hope he passes the furball test, because that face has BOYFRIEND written all over it. And I say this as a confirmed cat person.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Congratualtions! Your new honey is beautiful!

I love Dobermans. Once in highschool, I was at a party and the combination of not knowing hardly anyone and the intimidation factor of being in a wheelchair resulted in my sitting out of the way, next to a giant plant and talking to no one. And then the family Doberman came and parked himself next to me and we had a wonderful time communing until I went home. One day, when I win the lottery, I'm getting a large house with rooms for lots of animals and at least one will be a Doberman.

I know you'll be very happy.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Irish Goddess said...

Dobermans are such gorgeous animals. And YEAH to you planning to stick around awhile!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Dobies are GREAT dogs, and he's certainly a handsome fellow! I do hope things work out for you two.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Kim Conterio said...

my grandparents had a doberman when i was very very small and i loved her like she was part of my own body. she was the sweetest thing in the universe (except for the part where she believed that carpet was de-li-ci-ous! harmless for us, but not for her!)

They really give the best doggie hugs in the universe. (especially when you're about 4 and they are much bigger than you)

10:24 AM  
Blogger citygrrrl said...

ohmigawd, he's beautiful!!!!!!

2:37 PM  
Blogger BunnyBubblette said...

Liz,

I don't know anything about Dobermans, but I do know Boxers, and I do know that the boys (especially the BIG boys) are the sweetest, cuddliest, kissiest babies in the world. We had an 85-pound lap dog who used to climb up on our laps and put his big front paws on each shoulder and just "hug" us as long as we could stand it. He was also nice and scary looking and scary sounding when he heard somebody at the front door.

Here's a picture of our last big-boy kissy lapdog:

http://bunnybubblette.blogspot.com/2007/01/rambling-mom-asked-how-old-miss-molly.html

Congratulations on your new boyfriend! I think it's a match made in heaven!

7:19 PM  
Blogger citygrrrl said...

i am so taken by these dogs i have to comment again. i am in love with the 3rd one down. omg! he breaks my heart.

the 5th one down is saying "i will retain my dignity through all of this" but the vunerability shows through.

the 6th one is so scared, poor baby. i just want to say it will be ok and give him a treat.

but the albino... oh my what a regal animal.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

What a handsome Dobie! I look forward to meeting him!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Liz--your blog just ate my comment, again. Argh.

So glad you are getting a big dog. And a rescue dog--good for you. The whole Katrina/animal thing made me sick--all those people forced to abandon their animals when they were rescued! What was that all about? Of course, the people weren't treated much better than the animals, but I digress.

Two of my animals, my dog Constant and one of my cats, Caterpillar, came from the rescue where I volunteer, Animal Talk in Seattle. Rescue orgs. always need help, so give generously, everyone, and remember to spay and neuter your pets--there are now more "feral" cats in the US than pet cats--most are abandoned or lost pets, or one generation away from a lost/abandoned pet.

Jeanne

11:23 PM  
Blogger debinca said...

Liz, he looks regal, wise and fun, just like you queenie! Best of luck with the eval, and best of luck to the little ones when you break the news. man I love that bathroom, its risky and classy in the black and white motif. deb

1:22 AM  
Blogger dajamama said...

Your description of Dobermans fits my impression of Akitas (our chosen breed here at dajamou central) to a T. And those pictures are priceless. The head tilt! God, how I love the head tilt. I will do almost anything goofy and outrageous to get the head tilt from a dog that's supposed to be looking dignified.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home