Tuesday, October 23, 2007

BBC: Optimism 'no bearing on cancer'

The three most consistently popular search strings that bring random visitors to this blog are, in ascending order: healthy muffin recipe, pictures of dogs with tumors, and (drum roll! are you ready for this?) naked boyfriend on the bed. Heh heh heh. These unfortunately misleading phrases manage to deliver dozens of no doubt sorely disappointed visitors to my humble blog every day.

But my very favorite misguided search, which only shows up maybe once or twice a month and just happened to appear again today, is: tumor turns out to be spiders. I mean, whoa! How cool is it, that my blog turns out to be number one on Google for this particular unlikely search?

But yeah! Welcome to the zany spider tumor people!

Now what I can't quite figure out is this: are these people being optimistic? Or not.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I just tried it out, and of course you are now the top 1 and 2 hits for the spider search. As a vet who lives with quite a few house spiders (they are never dangerous in the UK) I see both spiders and tumours quite often, but I have never linked the two in my mind before (or seen a spider with a tumour). I would love to know what these people are thinking, or what, perhaps, mind-altering chemicals they have been trying.

9:02 AM  
Blogger funambulator said...

Ooh, I think this has something to do with an urban legend I've heard wherein someone had a growing bump on their skin, and thought it was a tumor. It turned out that a spider had laid eggs under the person's skin, and they grew and grew and eventually hatched, then the spiders had to eat their way out!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Gaaaah! So is that better than cancer or worse than cancer? I'm of a torn mind, myself.

11:18 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

That would have to be the most disgusting good news to receive from your doctor: "Good news! It isn't a tumor after all, it's just a spider infestation!"

"THANK GOD! I am so relieved! Now excuse me while I vomit."

Looks like it is just an urban legend (as far as spiders are concerned). Unfortunately, there do appear to be some just as disgusting cases of insects nesting in people.

EWWWWW!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Robert Hopper said...

The term spider is sometimes used to describe how certain tumors grow ... and perhaps this gave rise to the urban legend ... then again ... perhaps it was an overly active imagination.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home