Thursday, March 08, 2007

Commando Dancing

This is such a hoot. I went to the gym today thinking I would just jog a little on the treadmill and maybe do a light leg workout. But when I got there I discovered that on Thursday evenings they have a zydeco cardio class! This is something that started right around the time I got sick so I'd never been to it. Apparently it was on tv and in the local paper, and it's become wildly popular. The room was packed.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, that I would get too tired and winded and have to drop out. But damn if I didn't dance nonstop for the whole hour! We did fairly simple but energetic line dances, and a few partner dances with some easy turns. It was a great workout. The room is lined with floor-to-ceiling mirrors so I was forced to see how scrawny and pale I am, flailing around like a deranged bald-headed (yes, I went commando: no hat or wig) stick figure. But I was having such a blast, I didn't let it bother me one bit.

This is exactly why I live in Deep Inferno: we probably have the only gym on earth with zydeco workouts. I swear I could have kept going all night long.


Me in my signature workout pearls.


Speaking of the road back to health, what the hell is an Ugli Fruit? It was so ugly I felt sorry for it and bought one, but now I'm not sure what to do with it.

11 Comments:

Blogger viola power said...

What an excellent class! I go to the PowerDance! class at the local YMCA, which never fails to crack me up.

11:24 PM  
Blogger A.Smith said...

re:ugly fruit - peel the ugly thing and eat it just like you would a tangerine or a grapefruit providing you are not taking any medication that could be affected by grapefruit juice.
While here we pronounce it "ugly" here, in Jamaica is pronounced /ˈhu.ɡli/. - I love it and seldom find it here in Portland, and if you want to treat yourself, and girl you need some fat on those bones, make a simple syrup with some sugar, water and vanilla, a pinch of cardamom crushed seeds and boil the whole thing to death.
Then when it is the consistency of syrup, get thee some whipped fresh cream, put the peeled ugly fruit in a bowl, cover it with the syrup and eat it by the roses with the whipped cream. I took already all the calories out of the recipe in case the idea of fat on your bones after chemo makes you squirm...

Liz, it is wonderful to see you healthy and happy. Are the roses in bloom yet?

Allegra
There is no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war, except its ending.
~Abraham Lincoln

11:36 PM  
Blogger deviousdiva said...

Every day you are more inspiring. Thank you.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Ya Looblue said...

HA! oh my goodness Liz...i laugh because about two years ago i wrote a journal entry Just Like This where i talk about how i saw a poor little ugly fruit sitting in the bin and i felt so sorry for it that i had to buy one. they're delicious! it's like the combo of a pink grapfruit and a mandarine orange. it's SO GOOD. i bet a lot of people miss out on it because it's not as pretty as its' citrus brothers. anyway...
yay for fun cardio classes. i've hit a wall with cardio lately.
love the workout pearls!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Alto2 said...

Zydeco cardio? Oooh, char, that sounds like fun.

The uglifruit is a hybrid tangelo from Jamaica and is sweeter than a grapefruit. It is best eaten raw, either in sections, or halved and sectioned like a grapefruit. You can also juice it for something a little different.

11:29 AM  
Blogger citygrrrl said...

why do the contents your fridge look exactly like when i saw it a year and a half ago?

except for the ugli fruit, of course.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

why do the contents your fridge look exactly like when i saw it a year and a half ago?

Because I don't go around redecorating the interior of my fridge every 12 months?

Wait. Are you implying I'm supposed to be cleaning it out? Throwing stuff away, that sort of thing? I don't think so, grrrl, it didn't say anything about that in the damn users manual.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jen108 said...

I know you think you aren't beautiful right now, but trust me -- with a smile like yours, you don't NEED hair!

4:13 PM  
Blogger citygrrrl said...

"Because I don't go around redecorating the interior of my fridge every 12 months?"

touché my dear!

i remember those egg whites, the cottage cheese, some fruit, some meat type protein. are the cherry tomatoes on the counter?

i wish you and your fridge contents would stay....

12:23 PM  
Blogger Dr. Lisa said...

Way to go girl. You are an inspiration to us all.

12:49 AM  
Blogger anne said...

Inspiration indeed. You look fantastic.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home