Thursday, June 07, 2007

It's A Bird, It's A Plane...

I drove over to Baton Rouge this morning and met my new boyfriend. His foster mom brought him to the PetSmart, and I brought my little dogs so we could see how they reacted to each other.

When they first met they cautiously sniffed each other in the appropriate manner and milled around a little checking things out. As soon as they were convinced that nothing was untoward, they quickly lost interest in each other. The foster mom and I stood in the Kong ailse and talked and observed, and pretty soon a small crowd had gathered around. Women were emitting high-pitched coos at the cute little doglets, imagining how fancy they'd look riding around in an Hermes bag, while men were admiring the big guy with intese and overt testosterone envy, as if he were some big expensive penis extension they'd be proud to wag around the streets of their hood.

All three dogs exhibited excellent social skills and tactful restraint, politely ignoring the embarrassing onlookers. We watched as a few other dogs approached the big guy, including a tiny 3-week old Jack Russell that definitely should NOT be out in public since she was too young for her Parvo shots. Arg. But it was helpful because she tried to clamber all over the big man's ankles, which had to be annoying, and he just looked the other way. Good boy! I was totally impressed with his tolerant manners.

So we all passed our tests with flying colors, and I'll be bringing him home the week of the 17th, once I'm all settled into the shack and have the fence secured. Yay!!!


His name is Superman. Here he is being a perfect gentleman, ignoring the ditzy little rug rats with that typical Doberman aloof dignity. He spent Katrina all alone, chained up to a basketball goal in the 9th Ward. After the storm was over but before the levees broke, some kind neighbors untied him and took him with them when they evacuated to safety in Alabama. His original owners were fianlly located, but they no longer wanted him. So Superman ended up with the Doberman rescue group, waiting for me to come fall in love him.


Yes, of course I wore black pants, and yes, of course he leaned against me like Dobies do when they like somebody. Tip of the day: Rush out immediately and buy shares in the Pet Hair Pic-Up Adhesive Roller Company; over the next few weeks, their stock is guaranteed to soar.


Shmookums! My boyfriend! From now on, just call me Lois Lane.

23 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Oh, what a magnificent dog! He is so lucky to have found you.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sweet face and sweet temper - a mild mannered guy. Sounds more like Clark Kent to me. Lucky you've found each other.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jen at Semantically driven said...

He is SO gorgeous.

6:30 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

He's so pretty! I want to give him a great big hug.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

What a beautiful and sweet boy! You are such a lucky lady. :-)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

What a beautiful and sweet boy! You are such a lucky lady! :-)

9:31 PM  
Blogger momo said...

He has such a dignified look about him!

10:41 PM  
Blogger debinca said...

Liz he looks like a really cool dog! I am glad you found each other. Really cool............ debinca

12:53 AM  
Blogger Me said...

What a handsome fella. He will also make an excellent guard/watch dog. Just like Superman, he will keep you (and the doglets) safe from harm.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how beautiful! And sweet-tempered! How could you not fall in love with him?

They are all so beautiful together, too. Yay, diversity! :)

I wish you all many happy years together, lots and lots of "frosting and gravy."

10:17 AM  
Blogger A.M.S. said...

What a wonderful dog! In my experience, rescued dogs who have been in foster homes (rather than pounds) make the best pets. They seem to be very aware that they have been saved from a terrible fate and are determined to be the best pet ever out to repay the debt.

Congratulations on meeting this fine fellow and I hope Superman enjoys his new home with all of his ladies!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Gosling said...

Awww! I am completely overcome by doggy envy. Lucky you, and lucky Superman to have such a happy ending to his sad life story. *sniff!*

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is absolutely stunning. And good manners to boot! Sounds like you found yourself a real gem there, Liz.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow! I had to come back and take another look at Clark/Superman. He is gorgeous, and it's great that he is fine with the little doglets. And with other people's little dogs--what are they thinking? Taking that puppy out in public before it's had it's shots?!

Superman's story is so sad, left tied up with the storm coming? But now he's yours, and you can make him happy he's alive and living with you.

Jeanne

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Argh. Grammar Police. That would be "its shots." J

2:31 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

I get this welling up feeling of anger when I think of someone chaining this dog to a post during a hideous storm like that one. My heart breaks for how horrible that must have been for him. I'm so glad that you have him and the rest of his life will be pampered and spoiled, hopefully making up for the nightmare he endured.
AND, he's totally gorgeous.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I think I'd call him 'Kent' for short. He looks like a Kent. Very dignified!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth C. said...

This morning I found your colorful, beautiful blog. I took a few hours and read the entire thing. You are a very talented writer, and the garden pictures are gorgeous.

Thank you for sharing your story. If it's possible to send positive vibes over the Internet, I'm sending them to you now.

As long as you continue sharing, I will "stay tuned". I look forward to seeing pictures of your new garden. I also hope your handsome new family member turns out to be your best dog ever.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

When are you going to open your online trainer program? I really really really need the help.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Kate, probably in a couple of weeks, I hope. I've been really bogged down with moving, packing, trying to weed out 15 rooms of stuff so it fits in three tiny rooms. The van comes Wednesday, it'll take a week to get things unpacked and settled, and then I can start working on it. Meanwhile, read Krista, read Alwyn Cosgrove read Craig Ballantyne, start tracking everything you eat at FitDay.com.

I apologize for the delay, but stay tuned!

9:58 PM  
Blogger MTherese said...

Are his eyes blue? He sure is handsome.

1:15 PM  
Blogger divrchk said...

Congrats on the new boyfriend. He's beautiful!

Just wondering if you've read the blog http://luchalee.wordpress.com/ Their writing is fantastic and she is in the throws of post chemo blues.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Corey--Thank you! What a gem of a discovery. That is absolutely the best cancer blog ever. Amazing. I can only imagine how it would have been to have a partner that supportive and kind and perceptive and understanding through the hellish ordeal. The birthday post esepcially broke my heart. I had the worst bithday imaginable during my chemo, but hers makes it pale in comparison.

I'm in the middle of moving, but as soon as my computer is hooked up at the new house I want to go back and reread the entire blog, and promote it with wild enthusiasm in my sidebar. Thanks so much for recommending it!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home